You know what's spooky? Bland Oatmeal. And you know what's even spookier? Eating bland, unsatisfying oatmeal every day for breakfast.
Halloween's around the corner and it inspired us to create a new breakfast recipe. But despite Halloween coming around just once a year, this recipe can be enjoyed year-round (and it's especially satisfying in the cooler months).
Fiber-rich and filling ingredients like oats, chia seeds, coconut flakes and buckwheat power you through the morning. A scoop of Turmeric Elixir Blend, which is full of cozy, warming spices like ginger, allspice, pepper and cinnamon are like a hug in a bowl. And powerhouse ingredients like Astragalus, Ashwagandha, Pine Pollen and Turmeric are that loving support system for your body, mind and immune system. That's no tricks — all treats, baby!
⅓ cup + 2 tbsp cup rolled oats*
- 1 tbsp buckwheat groats
- 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp chia seeds (or 1 tsp ground flax seeds)
- small pinch (about ⅛ tsp) fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp JOYÀ Turmeric Elixir Blend
- ¼ - ½ cup plant-based milk of choice
- natural sweetener of choice, to taste
- optional toppings: chopped nuts, pumpkin seeds, shredded or flaked coconut, berries, banana, shredded apple, drizzle of nut or seed butter
*To keep the recipe grain-free, substitute oats with quinoa or buckwheat flakes.
Combine oats, buckwheat groats, shredded coconut and chia seeds in a small saucepan and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low.
Stir in milk, salt and JOYÀ Turmeric Elixir Blend and cook, stirring occasionally, until grains are tender, 5–8 minutes. Add sweetener to taste and add more milk if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Top oatmeal with toppings of choice, if desired. Drizzle with more milk.