Add the cashews and other nuts to a food processor and process until they’re in small pieces but not too fine. Empty nuts into a large bowl.
Add dates to the food processor and process until small chunks form. Add the ground nuts and all of the remaining ingredients and process until everything is well combined. Empty mixture into the large bowl.
Grab a small handful of the mixture and squeeze in your hand to see if it holds together. If not, add more liquid sweetener, 1-2 tsp at a time.
If making bars: Line a loaf pan (about 9” x 5”) with parchment paper in both directions. Scrape the mixture into the pan and press down firmly to flatten. (Pro tip: cover the mixture with parchment paper and then use the bottom of a cup to pack the mixture, or if you have one, the same size loaf pan placed on top and inside the pan with the mixture.)
If making balls: Scoop ~1 tbsp of the mixture and form into balls.
If you're a power snacker, you're going to love eating (and making) these! These nutrient-packed, superfood energy balls (or bars) are full of clean energy and flavor. They are also the result of our first ever "Functional Snacking Chat" with co-founders of Kite (@drinkkite) where we chatted all things adaptogens while whipping up and sipping on delicious adaptogenic treats. If you're not yet familiar with Kite, they make an incredible, carefully crafted adaptogen infused sparkling tea in a variety of delicious flavors, using only the very best and cleanest ingredients. So naturally, we just couldn't resist pairing an ice cold Kite tea with these incredible superfood food bites. Talk about a match made in functional food snack heaven!
These morsels of superfood goodness are infinitely versatile. They can be chopped into bites, rolled into balls or cut into bars. And below you'll also see how we paired each Elixir Blend with a variety of different nuts and seeds. Not to mention, they are free of any refined sugar, gluten and dairy. Luckily, regardless of the flavor (or flavors) you choose and shape you make, these keep in the freezer for up to a month. This way you can always have some superfood snacks on hand.
- approximately 13 Medjool dates, pitted (125 g pitted dates)
- ¾ cup cashews
- for matcha version: ¼ cup pistachios, blanched almonds or macadamia nuts
- for cacao version: ¼ cup hazelnuts or pecans
- for turmeric version: ¼ cup blanched almonds or macadamia nuts
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp JOYÀ Matcha-Moringa OR Cacao OR Turmeric Elixir Blend (or plain matcha, cacao or turmeric powder)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (*only if using plain matcha, cacao or turmeric powder)
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp chia seeds or flax seeds, ground
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener such as honey, maple syrup, date syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract