- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, rice flour, JOYÀ Cacao Elixir Blend, oats, baking powder, salt, and spices. In a small mixing bowl, using the back of a fork, mash one banana to a smooth purée. Add the eggs, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk to combine. Let the batter sit for about 10 minutes. If the batter becomes overly thick, add a splash more of the milk. Slice the remaining two bananas into thin, coin-shaped slices.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brush with coconut oil. When the pan and oil are hot, dollop a heaping ¼ cup of the batter into the pan, spreading it evenly into a 4-inch round; you should be able to get 2 to 3 pancakes into the pan, depending on the size of your pan. Add 4 to 6 banana slices in an even layer to the top of each pancake.
- Cook until the pancakes puff and the undersides are golden, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the pancakes and continue to cook until they are golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Adjust the heat as needed.
- Serve warm with your butter of choice, maple syrup, and melted chocolate if desired. To keep the pancakes warm, transfer to a baking sheet and place in a 200°F oven. (The pancakes can be cooled to room temperature, then frozen in a single layer on a baking sheet; pack them in an airtight container separated by parchment paper. To serve, bring to room temperature and reheat in a pan over low heat.)
Recipe excerpt from the book Food Story: Rewrite the Way You Eat, Think, and Live by Elise Museles © 2021 Elise Museles, reprinted with permission from the author and the publisher, Sounds True, Inc.