This decadently rich and nourishing Golden Bliss latte is the result of the fifth installment of our "Kitchen Improv" Instagram Live series (which you can catch on our IGTV). We joined forces with our good friend, certified eating pshycology & nutrition expert, Elise Museles (from @kaleandchocolate) to create a nourishing and delicious recipe on the fly.
Using their expertise in both culinary flavors and the herbal medicine cabinet, JOYÀ founder Ruth and Elise come together to combine earthy, aromatic turmeric and cacao and a number of adaptogenic and superfood herbs and spices to create what has been rightfully coined a cup of "Golden Bliss". It can be prepared in a blender or using a handheld frother. It can be enjoyed hot or on ice. And it can even be used as a base for chia pudding or overnight oats. This elixir is versatile, luscious and truly magical.
- 1 ½ cups milk of choice (we love coconut for this recipe, or try others such as oat or almond)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric OR 1 tbsp fresh grated turmeric* (see recipe variation below**)
- 1 tsp cacao powder (see recipe variation below**)
- ⅛ tsp ashwagandha extract (or more if you’re using whole/non-extract ground herb)
- ½ tsp maca powder
- small pinch (about ⅛ tsp) cinnamon
- tiny pinch ground black pepper
- Optional: 1 tbsp tahini (for extra creaminess)
- Optional: sweetener of choice, to taste (pitted dates*, honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc)
*only use fresh turmeric and/or dates if making the latte in a blender
**Recipe variation using Bliss Cacao Elixir Blend: replace the cacao powder, maca and cinnamon with 2 tsp Bliss Cacao Elixir Blend.
**Recipe variation using Glow Turmeric Elixir Blend: replace the turmeric, ashwagandha, cinnamon and black pepper with 2 tsp Glow Turmeric Elixir Blend.
- Heat milk on the stovetop (or in microwave) to a simmer.
- If using a blender: add all ingredients to the blender and blend until completely emulsified and frothy.
- If using a handheld frother: add milk to your mug to fill it about 1/4 of the way full. Add remaining ingredients, froth until well combined and top up with remaining milk.
If using a blender: add all ingredients to the blender and blend until completely emulsified and frothy. Pour into a glass with ice
If NOT using a blender: Boil a small amount of water. In a mug or small heat-resistant bowl, combine all ingredients with a few tablespoons of hot water and whisk until a smooth and runny paste forms. Fill a glass about 3/4 full with cold milk, add mixture into the glass and top off with ice.
Pro tip: use this latte recipe as a base for chia pudding or oatmeal!