Sometimes we find ourselves just craving chocolate cake. We may also find ourselves overwhelmed with the idea of baking an entire cake. If only there was a quick and easy way to whip up a cake when that craving hits...
We got you :)
This chocolate nut butter mug cake is a super clean yet decadent recipe that you can whip up in minutes. Chances are you have all these ingredients in your pantry already. And it can be made in the oven (our preference) or in the microwave (when in a pinch!). You can top it with whatever you heart desires, from ice cream to fresh berries to caramel sauce. You can also feel extra good knowing that the chocolatey factor comes from our Cacao Elixir Blend, which is rich in adaptogenic and mood boosting herbs and mushrooms, and our super clean, handcrafted dark chocolate.
- 1 egg yolk (*if scaling up recipe for 2 servings, simply use 1 whole egg)
- 1 tbsp nut butter or tahini
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp plant-based milk
- ¼ cup (25 g) almond flour (or hazelnut flour)
- 1 tbsp JOYÀ Cacao Elixir Blend
- tiny pinch fine sea salt
- ½ bar (15 g) JOYÀ Chocolate, finely chopped
Note: the cake will fit into a 1 cup mug (or other oven-proof dish such as a ramekin), but use a larger mug if topping the cake with ice cream or fruit.
- If baking in the oven (rather than the microwave), preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk, nut butter, vanilla, coconut sugar, maple syrup and milk and whisk until smooth. Add almond flour, JOYÀ Cacao Elixir and salt and whisk until combined. Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Pour into mug (or other small oven-proof dish) and either bake in the oven for 15 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs) OR microwave for 1-2 minutes (microwave cooking time will depend on the strength of your microwave and whether you like your cake a bit gooey in the center).
- If desired, add ice cream, fruit, caramel sauce or other toppings and enjoy!